Saturday, August 05, 2006

Almost over...

Finally...only two more exams to go. Why is it that the only subject I'm good at is the one that I hate the most? I'm talking about Biology - the worst subject one could probably take at school after accounting and advanced English. Does it really matter if scientists still don't know if it is cytoplasmic streaming or the pressure flow hypothesis that makes matter move upward in plants? Is someone going to die if we don't know the difference between sea-water fish and fresh-water fish? Does the future of the whole intergalactic universe depend on how PLANTS move matter? PUHLEESE - we should be learning how to do heart transplants or blood transfusions, something that will eventually help the community in a positive way.

Although one good thing I did learn from this subject that totally facinates me is the structure of the human body - internally I mean. Before I did Bio, I totally believed that everything was created by God and that humans actually felt emotion. Although my faith in God is still there, I believe that every single emotion we feel is completely controlled by a little thing called hormones. Our whole life revolves around hormones - add too much testosterone, and voila! we have agressiveness. Too much anti-diuretic hormone and you can't pass water.
Hormones bring us one step back to the baseness of life, the uncivilised animals that we were meant to be - living in caves, eating raw meat and hitting one another with crude bone weapons.
Like I was telling M the other day, the only thing that separates us from animals is culture and pride. Why do humans feel the need to belong to one place? Why do we seek out a niche in society and feel the need to conform? And what about fidelity, are we really meant to live with one person for the rest of our very very brief life?
Humans have been evolving on this planet for the short span of 20 to 40 thousand years, but we only managed to ruin the entire planet in the last 200 years. Think about it, the planet Earth was formed over 2.1 billion - that's right BILLION years ago, continually evolving and changing to billions of different fragile species, each special in its own way only to be destroyed by us today. In the past 200 years - not including all the deforestation etc from before - we managed to cut down biodiversity to less than a quarter of what it was in the beginning.

Huff, now that's all out, I will end my ranting and go back to studying.

XX peace out