Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Repression? or Supression?

Okay, I was reading 'Sigmund Freud's Theories on Psycho-Analysis', and it has made me completely paranoid, although you might get paranoid if you read this too:

"Defence mechanisms are helpful and, if used in a proper manner, are healthy. However, if misused, the defence mechanisms may also be unhealthy. The maladaptive use of defence mechanisms can occur in a variety of cases, e.g. when they become automatic and prevent individuals from realizing their true feelings and thoughts."
AND
Denial. An ego defence mechanism that operates unconsciously to resolve emotional conflict, and to reduce anxiety by refusing to perceive the more unpleasant aspects of external reality;
Displacement. An unconscious defence mechanism, whereby the mind redirects emotion from a ‘dangerous’ object to a ‘safe’ object. In psychoanalytic theory, displacement is a defence mechanism that shifts sexual or aggressive impulses to a more acceptable or less threatening target; redirecting emotion to a safer outlet;
Repression. The process of pulling thoughts into the unconscious and preventing painful or dangerous thoughts from entering consciousness;
Maybe I'm in denial, thats why I thought life was actually pretty good yesterday. Maybe the world around me is in total destruction, but since I'm in denial, I see everything as nice and happy...argh paranoia.
I am going to be more assertive now, and actually voice out my anger instead of repressing/supressing it. Yes - if someone says something I don't like, it will be 'screw you' straight to their face. No keeping a polite face and smiling. No thinking evil thoughts on the inside, no siree, its straight up for me from now on. Like N said, if I bottle things up like that, it will eventually burst free and I'll end up shooting some people in a supermarket. My id is taking over from my dominating super ego.
Id rules, super ego die.
XX L